At Ivy Tech, we work every day to build educational environments that respect and affirm the unique contributions of each individual. We put diversity, equity, and belonging into practice by graduating culturally literate individuals who will make positive contributions to local communities. And we work hard to recruit and retain talented faculty and staff who reflect our great state of Indiana.
Strategies We Support
With input from faculty, staff, and students from around the state, we’ve developed five strategies with goals and metrics:
- Eliminate systemic inequities for students.
- Leverage leadership’s power and privilege to drive positive change.
- Implement new structures to ensure faculty and staff diversity.
- Increase diversity in leadership.
- Ensure everyone in our college community feels they belong.
A Strong Commitment
- Each service area at Ivy Tech has a Diversity Lead who is part of a statewide committee designed to jumpstart and manage our diversity and inclusion process.
- The committee works with leaders, students, and community partners to create accountability, provide guidance, and communicate our progress on diversity efforts.
- We have a dedicated statewide Diversity Office that includes employees who specialize in diversity, student advocacy, disability support, and Title IX.
- Employees on hiring committees at the College participate in training focused on mitigating bias in the hiring process.
Heritage Month Speaker Series
Our Heritage Month Speaker Series celebrates the complexities and richness of heritages and raises awareness of diverse groups and identities. All series speakers are Indiana Hoosiers, chosen to reflect the high level of talent working to promote positive change in our own backyards.
We offer free opportunities to obtain nationally recognized certificates for diversity, equity, and belonging-related courses for staff and faculty in areas such as Teaching Men of Color in the Community College, Implicit Bias, and Racial Microaggressions. We also offer monthly Diversity Lunch & Learn programs to all employees, covering a wide range of topics that have included:
- Disability Etiquette
- Racial Microaggressions
- Advocating for the LGBTQ Community
William R. Goins Spirit of Diversity Award
We present this award several times annually to recognize faculty and staff who are helping us develop a diverse, equitable campus community. The honoree also selects a department, student organization, employee affinity group, or campus foundation to receive a $2,500 grant.
Ivy Tech supports the Indiana economy by giving suppliers equitable opportunities to provide goods and services. All suppliers — including small business enterprises, women, minority, and veteran-owned businesses — are invited and encouraged to do business with us.